TRIANGLE, Va. — Throughout its history, the park served as the home of diverse groups including Native Americans, colonists, and American Revolutionary and Civil War troops. Oak Ridge, known as the Prince William County Poorhouse, and Batestown, founded by free and former enslaved African-Americans, were also located in this area. The current park was originally established In 1936 as the Chopawamsic Recreation Demonstration Area and served as the home of children's 'relief' camps during the Great Depression. During this period, the U.S. Civilian Conservation Corps constructed five cabin camp units to support the program. During World War II, the Office of Strategic Services was headquartered on the site and it served as a spy and radio operator training ground. It was officially renamed Prince William Forest Park in 1948.